You are Here in
Library >> Harvey Library
The Library is named after Mr Graig Harvey of Madura Mills Co. Ltd., Madurai, whose munificent bequest of Rs.1,00,000 helped the College to construct a separate block from which the library presently functions. The foundation stone was laid by the Noble Laureate Sir C.V.Raman in 1947 and later His Excellency the Maharaja of Bhavanagar, the then Governor of Madras opened the building in 1949.
The Library has a collection of over 73000 volumes, subscribes to over 70 periodicals, including newspapers, both vernacular and English. The library caters to the information needs of the students and staff of our college who are the members of the library.
Besides each department has its own departmental library where about 80% of the textbooks purchased under various grants of U.G.C and Autonomy are stacked for exclusive use by students and staff of the department
The library is kept open from 8.45 am to 7.00pm in the evening on all working days, with the staff working in two shifts, namely 8.45 am to 4.45 pm and 12 noon to 7 pm.
The ground floor houses the stack area where all the library books for issue are arranged. The ground floor has a seating capacity of 50 students. Reference section in the first floor contains all those books like encyclopedias, yearbooks etc. that are not loaned out and all the periodicals, for the members’ use. The reading hall in the reference section has a seating capacity up to 75 people
The computer systems in the library have been networked and most of the functions of the library like issue –return, back office work, accessioning, cataloguing etc., have been automated. The LAN consists of a server, and 5 nodes, two for the students (OPAC & CD library) and one each for counter and back office and reference section. The books have been bar-coded. A broadband internet connection is also available for browsing the net. The automation software used in the library is autolib.
The students have open access to the library collection and are issued books for a week for study.
A separate terminal has been allotted to the students for browsing through the CD collection in the library.
OPAC – (Online Public Access Catalog) Online search through the catalogue facility is available for which a separate node in the LAN has been allocated.
In the reference section, students are informed about any job fairs conducted in the city and other courses of study, competitive exams, any other program helpful to the student community etc.
Question papers pertaining to the semester examinations conducted in our college are made available for the students to browse through in the reference section.